Unit Title: Link: Discovering Your Israel Connection
Grade/Subject: Middle School/Jewish History/Israel Studies
Duration of Unit: 6 lessons
Understanding(s) /Big Ideas
“Israel pride” is grounded in knowledge of history, contributions, and innovations.
- What is Israel’s role in the world as a modern, democratic, Jewish country?
- How can a country contribute to the world?
- How does knowledge lead to action?
- How can a country show what it values?
Student Objectives And Learning Outcomes
- Students will be able to trace continuous Jewish presence in the Land of Israel
and explain what the Land’s significance has been throughout Jewish history.
- Students will be able to display a knowledge about modern Israel’s size and demographics as well as create a relatable understanding of those facts.
- Students will have a meaningful understanding of Israel’s surrounding neighbors and its place in the neighborhood.
- Students will be able to articulate why some American Jews choose to live in Israel in spite of the above mentioned facts.
- Students will be able to demonstrate their knowledge in an area of Israeli technology and innovation by creating their own “ad campaign” for an Israeli industry or company.
- Students will be able to distinguish Israel as an open, diverse society that welcomes in people of different backgrounds, countries, and talents.
- Students will explain how Israel’s values reflect its humanitarian aid and relief efforts around the world.
- Students will be able to develop their own Israel Value statement based on facts learned in the unit to explain how Israel acts in accordance with its values.
Before beginning this unit, please have students complete the Pre-Unit Questionnaire that can be found on the Link Digital Student Packet.